Friday 8 January 2016

New Years Resolutions 2016

Let's make some goals! And yes, this is published late so it wouldn't get lost in the flood of other bloggers's lists. I previously looked over some random old goals I made in the past and here are my new ones.

I love setting out targets - it gives me a focus for the year and it's interesting to look back and see what past you wanted. This year I'm not setting any exercise goals because I just won't do them. I'm healthy and I always walk to wherever I need to be. There's a tiny child inside me throwing a tantrum every time I tell myself to exercise, so I guess I'll do it when I want to, not when I'm told.


Writing
There are a lot of project ideas that have been lying around for YEARS but no more! Currently I want to work on:
  • Two theatre script ideas
  • A short story
  • Six poems ideas
  • Finish off three poems
  • A novel - outline the plot, characters and world
  • Finish going through and editing a novella I wrote four years ago. 
  • Work on a radio play series to hopefully be released later this term

I know I won't complete all of them and you can't force creativity, but I've ignored them for so long it's ridiculous. Also, I tend to just forget these ideas exist until I find some scrap of paper with notes on it. I've discovered the Google Keep app and now all my lists are in one place (I can now have a list of lists and it's very satisfying).

I'm going to surround myself with creativity - read more (especially poetry), go to poetry slams, watch and listen to movies and plays and maybe even leave my room to write outside. Writing is intensely private, I can't even mention what my ideas are about when they're developing, let alone write properly in public. But I've been in cafes and thought this would be a lovely atmosphere to make up short stories about strangers so that's a challenge.


Other Creative
Making videos and blogging more are two big targets, along with a few others.
  • Work on my seven video ideas. I have all the footage, I just need to sit and edit them.
  • Make two readathon videos. 
  • Write and upload all my drafts on the blog. I have a lot. A. LOT. I don't want to set follower/view count numbers as that's mostly out of my hands, all I can do is make good stuff I would want to read. Plus, it's dangerous and demoralizing to get caught up in statistics. I'd like to work with a brand/company this year so I'll feel like a 'proper' blogger' so we'll see how that goes.
  • Do a self-portrait. I'm really worried that if I try to get back into art I'll find that I'm not very good and I've lost all my abilities. But, the only way to improve is to do it. 
  • Develop a cartoon style for humans. I can do animals and objects, but not people yet. 
  • Make a magazine. I love magazines, I own A LOT. I've had to impose a ban on myself from buying any more. I know how to make one, how to go about it, I just need to do it. 

Learning
I am a big big nerd and love learning new things independently.
  • Actually finish the courses I've signed up to on FutureLearn (it's a site that offers a huge variety of free online courses). 
  • Have a basic grasp of HTML. I've always wanted to learn coding and it's an employable skill (yay job hunting help me).
  • Have a basic grasp of Microsoft Excel. I just want to know how to use formulas etc.
  • Reach 50% on DuolingoThis is another free educational website. I love the French language - some people who are interested in French are so because they like all things to do with France. I just really like the language for the language. 

General
  • Use up 3 notebooks. I own approximately 50. This is not an exaggeration. I have a problem (this number includes old exercise books from school that never got filled up and refill notepads). This is not an exaggeration. I have a problem. 
  • Get a job after uni. *Internal screaming*
  • Get a place to live after uni. *Internal screaming intensifies*
  • Complete the 50 book challenge (not including academic texts). I'm keeping track on my Goodreads.
  • Complete the 50 movie challenge (all films I've never seen before). Is there a site like Goodreads for film? Let me know.
  • Finish this 100 things to do list.
  • Stop paying for things on card, use cash only. It'll be easier to keep track of how much I'm spending.
  • Every time I don't use up change on sweets, chips etc I put it in a jar. At the end of the month, cash it in and put it into my savings account. Good for my health and my finances. 

Hopefully I'll be able to tick these off as time passes, I'll probably make a follow up post halfway through the year. Wishing you all a lovely January!

No comments:

Post a Comment