Tuesday 1 September 2015

Classics I Haven't Read But Probably Should

I've been in education for 16 years, and studying English Lit at university for two years. I confess - there's a lot of big titles I haven't read. Try not to explode from indignation.

I based most of this list on the standard Western canon - so lots of books by old dead white men. If you have recommendations please let me know!



  • Ulysses - James Joyce
  • The Sound and the Fury - William Faulkner
  • Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
  • The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
  • To the Lighthouse - Virginia Woolf
  • Slaughterhouse-Five - Kurt Vonnegut
  • The Unbearable Lightness of Being
  • The Catcher in the Rye - J.D Salinger
  • Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
  • A Farewell to Arms  - Ernest Hemingway
  • A Room With a View - E.M Forster
  • Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie
  • The Satanic Verses - Salman Rushdie
  • Wide Sargasso Sea - Jean Rhys
  • Lord of the Rings - J.R.R Tolkien
  • Gone With the Wind Margaret Mitchell
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
  • Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
  • Invisible Man - Ralph Ellison
  • I, Claudius - Robert Graves
  • The Call of the Wild - Jack London
  • Naked Lunch - William S.Burroughs
  • One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesy

If there's any titles that I should run away from, do warn me.

No comments:

Post a Comment