Thursday 2 July 2015

Exeposé Books - Interview 'Dead Poets Society Slams It Down'

Originally published on Exeposé Online, 18 April 2014. Click the image to read the full article.

Christy Ku met up with the lovely Heads of the new Dead Poets Society (coming this September) to discuss poetry slams, traditional academia and pancakes with bacon.

Anna Romanska: President
Iona Bepey: Social Secretary
Abi Setchfield: General Secretary

Tell me about yourselves – who you are, what you like, who you’d like to see take the iron throne…
Anna: Well, we’re all studying English at the uni here. I live in Bahrain, but I’m from Poland, and I love all things literature, poetry, and fandom (like these two). And I have recently decided I want there to be no Iron Throne, so as to keep everyone happy. (But am secretly rooting for Sansa).
Iona: I’m sadly obsessed with Keats and wartime fiction, as well as appalling American reality TV. And Tyrion clearly has the edge.
Abi: I’ve been doing performance poetry since Yr 7 when I started speech and drama lesson., I love Percy Bysshe, Simon Armitage, Joelle Taylor, and bacon with maple syrup and pancakes. (And I don’t really care who gets the iron throne because the White Walkers are KINDA providing a sticky situation right now).
Pancakes and bacon with maple syrup? I am yet to try this culinary arrangement.
Abi: You want to make sure the bacon’s really crispy, and American pancakes work best. And thick maple syrup.
Anna: We all like cooking, we have arranged various evenings where we just eat and talk about Supernatural.
So how do you guys know each other?
Anna: Iona knew Abi and myself separately. I met Iona at a birthday, whilst we were both extremely drunk and bonding over Supernatural.
And how did Iona meet Abi?
Iona: Oh lord. This is really not going to reflect well on me…
Abi: It’s such a good story.
Iona: You get to tell the story.


No comments:

Post a Comment